Teams consist of 11 to 12 players and the games are more like real baseball than T-Ball. Unlike T-Ball, games in Coach Pitch are 4 innings long. The teams hit until they score 5 runs or the defensive team makes 3 outs.
- CYA Youth Baseball is non-competitive.
- Scorekeeping is not allowed.
- Players should concentrate on having fun and learning the game.
- Each batter will be given (5) five soft pitches from the pitching coach. If the batter is unable to hit one of the (5) five pitches, the batter will then hit the ball from the Tee. The batter will swing until he/she hits a fair ball.
- There are no strike outs or walks.
- Just like in real baseball, a defensive play is made when a fly ball is caught, or a base runner is tagged or forced out at any base. When a player is called out, they must leave the field of play.
- Players will not swing bats on-deck.
- Each team will have one batter and one player on deck. Other players must stay on the bench.
- The bench is for players only. No siblings are allowed.
- It is suggested that the coach seat their players in hitting order.
- The batter, on-deck hitter and all base runners are required to wear a helmet.
- The catcher is required to wear protective gear and a helmet.
- If you see lightning, the game must end.
- Players should not be left unattended while at the fields.
- All players will play in the field every inning.
- Batting orders can change every inning.
- All players will play in the infield and outfield during a game.
- Player can only play 1st base for one inning during a game.
- Do not use the same 3 people at 1st base every game.
- The catcher will start each play at the backstop and cannot move up to home plate until the ball is hit. The coach is responsible for ensuring the catcher is properly positioned.
- With a right handed batter, the catcher will line up to the right of the back stop.
- With a left handed batter, the catcher will line up to the left of the backstop.
- Be realistic with base running. Treat the running like you would a real baseball game.
- A player who hits the ball into the outfield does not have to stop at 1st Base. However, if the outfielder is holding the ball near the base, you probably wouldn’t send a runner in the higher leagues.
- Do not advance runners on an overthrow.
- Players are not allowed to slide at any base.
- Stealing bases and leading off bases are not allowed.
- Runners will leave the base if they are out.
- Play stops when an infielder, in the infield boundaries, has possession of the ball.
- The last batter in the inning will continue to run until the catcher has possession of the ball at home plate.
- Encourage your players to throw the ball to the catcher.
- Defensive players will stay away from the baselines until the player has reached home plate.
- When hitting, you are allowed 3 coaches on the field: 1) with the batter; 2) at 1st base; 3) at 3rd Base.
- When hitting, you must have a coach assigned to keep order at the bench.
- When fielding, you are allowed 4 coaches on the field: two in the outfield and one in the infield who will stand behind infielders, and a coach pitcher.
- All other coaches must stay near the bench.
- The team Manager is responsible for exemplifying and maintaining good sportsmanship at practices and games.
- The team Manager is responsible for the condct of his coaches, his players, and their parents.
- Players should encourage their teammates.
- Teams will shake hands after the game.