CYA Volleyball Rules for 5th & 6th Grades
· Played for a set time, teams may play as many sets as possible in the time slot.
· Each set is to 15 points
· Side out scoring, not Rally point
· Tie breakers are to 11 points and you must win by 2 points
· Players are put into a rotation
· Six players are on the court
· One or more players rotate into the game on each new server
· If both teams agree, both teams may rotate players in on a new server
· All players must play during each set
· Teams rotate upon receiving the serve, after the first service rotation
· Each player has 3 attempts to get the serve over on their first serve (this may be adjusted as season progresses)
· Additional serves must successful or it is a side out
· Players may toss the ball and let it drop once per serve
· The ball may not touch any part of the player’s body or it becomes a dead ball and is a side out
· No net serves
· Players may move up during their serve if that is needed for them to be successful. The referee has the option of moving the server back. Goal is for all players to serve behind the line, or one step into the court by the send of the season.
· No server can win more than 5 points in any one service rotation, after 5 points the serve is awarded to the other team.
· No teams are allowed overhand serves in the front half of the court
· Teams may play with as few as 4 players
· Referees should not call incidental net contact
· Referees should allow minimal lifting and carrying
· Flagrant rules violations shall be called
· The ball can be played off any structure above the court-if the ball is on their side and they have touches left.
· The ball is dead if it contacts any structure about the opponent’s court
· If the ball goes over the divider it is out
· If the ball hits the speakers at Franklin MS, the ball is out-no exceptions
· Basketball goals are out of play if a ball hits them on the way out of bounds
· The ball is dead if it hits the backboard on the way to the wall and if the referee decides it was not playable.
· Replay the serve if the ball hits the basketball goal in an upward direction and was playable.
· Rally scoring
· Sets played to 25 points
· One service retry during the regular season, none during the tournament
· No server can serve more than 5 points
· Net serves are allowed
· Overhand servers may serve up to 2 feet inside the service line during the regular season.
· All underhand servers must stay behind the line.
· Option of straight rotation or Substitution. Coaches may not combine the two during a set.
· Follow USAV guidelines
· All servers must stay behind the service line.
· All players are allowed and encouraged to participate in all matches within the tournament.
· No restriction placed on any player to attend all matches or all tournament days
· House players play in a straight rotation – no substitution
· First match of the tournament starts at an assigned time- all other matches start after the preceding team finishes. As soon as the whistle blows to end the match and hands are shaken the next teams should be ready to take the court.
· In a 3-team tournament pool- referees will call for captains right away and there will be a few minutes to warm up.
· In a 4-team tournament pool- the next match will start as soon as the matches are finished on both courts. No warm-ups.
· Cheering is allowed during side outs, aces, etc…until the whistle blows the play complete/finished.
· No cheers during the service
· Teams should keep their cheers positive and not too loud
Parents and Coaches
· Parents may not speak to the players on the court, only coaches should be directing the play.
· Parents may not speak to a coach in a negative or hostile manner.
· Negative behavior by parents will not be tolerated.
· Parents will be given only one warning, after that they will be asked to leave the gym.
· Parents should communicate with the coach and referee prior to the start of a match.
· During the match, only the team captains can communicate to the referees
· Coaches should set a high standard of kindness and calm and show good sportsman through their coaching and guidance.
· CYA Volleyball uses player referees
· Judgement call may be discussed with the referee, but not argued.